|Prior Date||Archive Index||Next Date|
WITandWISDOM(tm) - July 16, 1998
Since you cannot do good to all, you are to pay special regard to those who, by the accidents of time, or place, or circumstances, are brought into closer connection with you." - Saint Augustine of Hippo
(William E. O'Flaherty's "4 Thoughts of the Week" http://www.netastic.com/4tow/4tow.html)
Removed at Author's request.
THIS & THAT:
- Fools rush in where fools have been before.
- To avoid duplication, make three copies.
- It's called "Take Home" pay because you can't afford to go anywhere else with it.
- Success is relative; The greater the success, the more relatives.
- Anyone can be a winner . . . unless, of course, there's a second entry.
- The slower you work, the fewer misteaks you make.
- If Murphy's Law can go wrong, it will.
- If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
- You must have learned from others' mistakes. You haven't had time to think all those up yourself.
- If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.
- People like criticism . . . just keep it positive and flattering.
- It's OK to let your mind go blank, but please turn off the sound.
- Worry kills more people than work because more people worry than work.
- Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.
- When you're getting kicked from behind, that means you're in front.
- Misers aren't much fun to live with, but they make great ancestors.
- The trouble with bucket seats is that not everybody has the same size bucket.
- Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
- The real reason you can't take it with you is that it goes before you do.
- Advertisement: "Let me do your income tax. I'll save you time (about 20 years)."
- Junk is something you throw away three weeks before you need it.
- Hospitality is making your guests feel at home, even if you wish they were.
- The world is full of willing people: some willing to work and some willing to let them.
- Some people are like blisters. They don't show up until the work is done.
- A babysitter is a teenager acting like an adult while the adults are out acting like teenagers.
- Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you a mechanic.
- Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
- The 2 most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
(Shared by Rick Sams via MONDAY FODDER by Dave in Hong Kong firstname.lastname@example.org)
The moon is moving away at a tiny, although measurable distance from the earth every year. Do the math and you will clearly see that 85 million years ago it was orbiting the earth at a distance of about 35 feet from the earth's surface.
This would explain the death of the dinosaurs.
The tallest ones, anyway.
(Shared by Bill's Punch Line email@example.com)
Having a large number of social relationships can help increase your resistance to colds and other upper respiratory illnesses. People with relationships in three or fewer social groups (friends, family, work, community, church, etc.) have a four times greater risk of getting colds than those with six or more types of relationships. Researchers believe that having a diverse social network gives you feelings of responsibility, control, and meaning in life, which in turn increases your motivation to take care of yourself. - Journal of the American Medical Association (Shared by Larry Becker)