|Prior Date||Back to Archive Index||Next Date|
WITandWISDOM(tm) - June 15, 2001
"Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape." - Michael McGriff, M.D.
Source: Weekend Encounter, by Dick Innes, Copyright 2001, http://www.actsweb.org/subscribe.htm
~~~~~~~ SPECIAL THOUGHTS:
THE MASTER OF "GOODSPEAK"
By Bob Burg
Have you ever known of someone who sets an example you can learn from, emulate, and utilize for the rest of your life? Such a person is my Dad. . . .
My favorite "Dad story" took place when I was 12. We were having carpet installed in our home. . . . For lunch, my folks bought pizza for the crew. Dad went to talk with the boss about the job. I was around the corner listening.
The boss said, "This is an expensive job. Women will really spend your money, won't they?"
Dad responded, "Well, I'll tell you, when they were right there with you before you had any money, it's a pleasure to do anything for them you possibly can."
This wasn't the answer he expected. He was looking for negative talk about wives which, to him, was natural. He tried again, "But, they'll really play off that and spend all they can, won't they?"
Dad replied, as I knew he would, "Hey, when they're the reason you're successful, you want them to do the things they enjoy. There's no greater pleasure."
The crew boss tried one more time, "And they'll take that as far as they can, huh?" Dad responded, "She's the best thing that ever happened to me. I'd do anything to make her happy."
I was trying not to laugh. I knew he wanted Dad to give in just a little bit and say, "Yeah, I guess that's true." But I knew that wouldn't happen... not in a million years!
Bob Burg is author of "Winning Without Intimidation" and "Endless referrals." His web site is http://www.burg.com
Source: Messages from the Masters, http://MailRoom.DailyInbox.com
~~~~~~~ THIS & THAT:
What Do You Say When You Get A Gift you Really Don't Like.
10. "Well, well, well, now, there's a gift!"
9. "No, with all the hostile takeovers this year, I missed the big Ronco/K-Tel/Ginsu merger. Would you just look at that! What will they think of next?!"
8. "Hey, as long as I don't have to feed it, or clean up after it, or put batteries in it, I'm happy!"
7. "No, really, I didn't know that there was a Chia Pet tie! Oh, wow! It's a clip-on too!"
6. "You know, I always wanted one of these! Jog my memory - what's it called again?"
5. "You know what?--I'm going to find a special place to put this!"
4. "Boy, you don't see craftsmanship like that every day!"
3. "And it's such an interesting color too!"
2. "You say that was the last one? Am I some glad that you snapped that baby up!"
And the number one thing to say about the gifts you didn't like is:
1. "You shouldn't have! I mean it, you really shouldn't have!"
Source: The Funnies, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/andychaps_the- funnies
~~~~~~~ KEEP SMILING:
"Orville Wright said to his brother, Wilbur, 'You were only in the air for twelve seconds. How could your luggage be in Cleveland?'" - Red Buttons
Source: Clean Laffs http://www.shagmail.com/sub/sub-jokes.html
A GEOMETRY TEST
Submitted by Shirley Lendborg