|Prior Date||Back to Archive Index||Next Date|
WITandWISDOM(tm) - October 9, 2001
No eyes that have seen beauty ever lose their sight. - Jean Toomer
Source: DailyInBox: Proverbs Plus, http://mailroom.dailyinbox.com/pplus/
~~~~~~~ SPECIAL THOUGHTS:
J. Wilbur Chapman often told of the testimony given by a certain man in one of his meetings:
"I got off at the Pennsylvania depot as a tramp, and for a year I begged on the streets for a living. One day I touched a man on the shoulder and said, "Hey, mister, can you give me a dime?" As soon as I saw his face I was shocked to see that it was my own father. I said, "Father, Father, do you know me?" Throwing his arms around me and with tears in his eyes, he said, "Oh my son, at last I've found you! I've found you. You want a dime? Everything I have is yours." Think of it. I was a tramp. I stood begging my own father for ten cents, when for 18 years he had been looking for me to give me all that he had."
What a wonderful illustration of the way God longs to treat us, if we will only let Him.
From: Knight's Master Book of 4000 Illustrations, page 20, By Knight, Walter B., Published by Eerdmans Publishing Company, William B., Copyright (c) April 1956, ISBN: 0802840663, http://isbn.nu/0802840663/price
Source: My Daily Dose of Inspiration, http://www.quietstones.com/mydailydose
~~~~~~~ THIS & THAT:
WHAT BOYS SAY TO GIRLS:
1. Did it hurt? ("Did what hurt?") When you fell out of heaven.
2. Did you know they changed the alphabet? They put U and I together.
3. Can I borrow that quarter? Because my mom told me to call home when I fell in love.
4. What's wrong? You're looking a little sad and gloomy. What you need is some vitamin me.
5. Are your legs tired? Because you been running through my mind ALL day long.
6. Are you lost? Because it's so strange to see an angel so far from heaven.
7. What's that in your eye? Oh...it's a sparkle.
8. Can I see that label? I just wanted to know if you were made in heaven.
9. Could I get some directions? ("To where?") To your heart.
10. I wish I was one of your tears, so I could be born in your eye, run down your cheek, and die on your lips.
Submitted by Sarah L Waldron
~~~~~~~ KEEP SMILING:
I like pigs. Dogs look UP to us. Cats look DOWN on us. Pigs treat us as EQUALS.
Submitted Jan Willem Frederikze
Why do people in the military always salute each other when they meet?
They can't be shielding their eyes from the sun, the better to see each other, because they salute indoors and after dark, as well. Nor can it be some form of elbow aerobics, because a mere one repetition would have little value.
In fact, it's based on tradition. The handshake upon meeting came from the custom of showing the other person that you carried no concealed weapon. The salute originated with the medieval knight, who pulled up his visor to reveal his face and show he was a friend. It evolved into a widespread custom of nodding or tipping one's hat as a greeting, and in the military became the more formal salute.
Servicemen and women learn to put snap into their salute. But don't overdo it if you join up. You lose face if you knock yourself unconscious in front of an officer.
From: Ever Wonder Why?, By Douglas B. Smith, Published by Ballantine Books (Mm), Jan 1, 1992, ISBN: 0449147460 http://isbn.nu/0449147460
Source: MailBits.com Trivia, Copyright (c) 1998-2001 All rights reserved http://MailBits.com/