|Prior Date||Archive Index||Next Date|
WITandWISDOM(tm) - December 20, 2001
The strength of a nation is derived from the integrity of its homes. - Confucius
Source: Bits & Pieces, July 18, 1996, Copyright (c) Economic Press, Inc., http://www.epinc.com
~~~~~~~ SPECIAL THOUGHTS:
By Sharon Palmer firstname.lastname@example.org
I was doing some last-minute Christmas shopping in a toy store and decided to look at Barbie dolls for my nieces.
A nicely dressed little girl was excitedly looking through the Barbie dolls as well, with a roll of money clamped tightly in her little hand. When she came upon a Barbie she liked, she would turn and ask her father if she had enough money to buy it. He usually said "yes," but she would keep looking and keep going through their ritual of "do I have enough?"
As she was looking, a little boy wandered in across the aisle and started sorting through the Pokemon toys.
He was dressed neatly, but in clothes that were obviously rather worn, and wearing a jacket that was probably a couple of sizes too small. He too had money in his hand, but it looked to be no more than five dollars or so at the most.
He was with his father as well, and kept picking up the Pokemon video toys. Each time he picked one up and looked at his father, his father shook his head, "No."
The little girl had apparently chosen her Barbie, a beautifully dressed, glamorous doll that would have been the envy of every little girl on the block.
However, she had stopped and was watching the interchange between the little boy and his father. Rather dejectedly, the boy had given up on the video games and had chosen what looked like a book of stickers instead. He and his father then started walking through another aisle of the store.
The little girl put her Barbie back on the shelf, and ran over to the Pokemon games. She excitedly picked up one that was lying on top of the other toys, and raced toward the check-out, after speaking with her father. I picked up my purchases and got in line behind them. Then, much to the little girl's obvious delight, the little boy and his father got in line behind me.
After the toy was paid for and bagged, the little girl handed it back to the cashier and whispered something in her ear. The cashier smiled and put the package under the counter.
I paid for my purchases and was rearranging things in my purse when the little boy came up to the cashier. The cashier rang up his purchases and then said, "Congratulations, you are my hundredth customer today, and you win a prize!"
With that, she handed the little boy the Pokemon game, and he could only stare in disbelief.
It was, he said, exactly what he had wanted!
The little girl and her father had been standing at the doorway during all of this, and I saw the biggest, prettiest, toothless grin on that little girl that I have ever seen in my life. Then they walked out the door, and I followed close behind them.
As I walked back to my car in amazement over what I had just witnessed, I heard the father ask his daughter why she had done that. I'll never forget what she said to him.
"Daddy, didn't Nana and PawPaw want me to buy something that would make me happy?"
He said, "Of course they did, honey."
To which the little girl replied, "Well, I just did!"
With that, she giggled and started skipping toward their car.
Apparently, she had decided on the answer to her own question of, "do I have enough?"
I feel very privileged to have witnessed the true spirit of Christmas in that toy store, in the form of a little girl who understands more about the reason for the season than most adults I know!
May God bless her and her parents, just as she blessed that little boy and me that day!
Submitted by Bunni
Subjects: Christmas, Benevolence, Gifts
~~~~~~~ THIS & THAT:
A CHRISTMAS TRUE OR FALSE QUIZ
Part 2 of 2 [Dec 19, 20]
9. The wise men did not arrive on the night of Jesus' birth.
10. God sent a choir of chubby angels to announce Jesus' birth to the shepherds.
11. Shepherding was considered a very noble occupation.
12. Both Joseph and Mary were told that the baby was to be named "Jesus."
13. When Herod heard about Jesus he was the only one concerned about this new king.
14. The wise men found Jesus lying in a manager in the town of Bethlehem.
15. After the angels announcement the shepherds went straight to Bethlehem to see Jesus.
16. Joseph married Mary immediately after the angel appeared to him.
17. Some of the shepherds doubted and refused to believe the message they heard from the angels.
HERE ARE THE ANSWERS:
9. (T) The wise men did not arrive on the night of Jesus' birth. - The wise men arrive sometime after Jesus is born (Matthew 2:1). Jesus is called a child, rather than a baby (Matthew 2:11). He may have been as old as two (Matthew 2:7,16).
10. (F) God sent a choir of chubby angels to announce Jesus' birth to the shepherds. - Actually God sent an army of warrior angels. See Luke 2:13. "Company" and "host" are military terms.
11. (F) Shepherding was considered a very noble occupation. - In first century B.C., shepherding was close to what we would consider garbage collecting. Shepherds were unable to remain ritually pure according to Pharisaic laws and so were considered unclean. Yet God chose them for His birth announcement.
12. (T) Both Joseph and Mary were told that the baby was to be named "Jesus." - Yes. See Matthew 1:21 and Luke 1:31. Babies were always named by their father. God the Father gives Jesus his name.
13. (F) When Herod heard about Jesus he was the only one concerned about this new
king. All Jerusalem was disturbed by this news of a new king (Matthew 2:3).
14. (F) The wise men found Jesus lying in a manager in the town of Bethlehem. Jesus was in a house by this time (Matthew 2:11).
15. (T) After the angels announcement the shepherds went straight to Bethlehem to see Jesus. - Correct. They were excited! They did not hesitate. Luke 2:15-16.
16. (T) Joseph married Mary immediately after the angel appeared to him. - Yes. His obedience was quick, cheerful and complete. Matthew 1:24.
17. (F) Some of the shepherds doubted and refused to believe the message they heard from the angels. - They went to see the baby right away, they spread the word, and they praised God for what they had been permitted to see and hear. No doubt there. Luke 2:15-20.
Source: Sermon Fodder, http://www.yahoogroups.com/subscribe.cgi/Sermon_Fodder
Subjects: Christmas, Tests
~~~~~~~ KEEP SMILING:
A starving artist was complaining to his landlord. "Twenty years from now people will come by here just to look at this house and say, Joe the famous writer once lived here.'"
The landlord was not impressed. "Listen, son, if you don't pay your rent they'll be saying that day after tomorrow."
Source: Clean Laffs, http://www.shagmail.com/sub/sub-jokes.html
Subjects: Rent, Artists
Computer Hardware Tutorials
This web site has been designed as a free introductory level, online computer training course, providing tutorials on computer hardware, software, operating systems, and basic troubleshooting.
If you just want to learn more about your computer's hardware, software and the overall system, here's a good place to start! Read the tutorials, then try the exercises provided.
Subjects: Computer Tips