|Prior Date||Archive Index||Next Date|
WITandWISDOM(tm) - February 19, 2002
"Those that know how to win are much more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories." - Polybius
Source: Heart Touchers, http://storiesfrommyheart.com/home_page
~~~~~~~ SPECIAL THOUGHTS:
IT'S THE ASHES
by Martin Weber
So this is what it all comes down to...
Gigahertz computers and wireless uplinks,
Mahogany boardrooms and executive washrooms,
Leather portfolios and power lunch clubs…
Everything amounts to ashes.
Corporate strategies and market share,
Stock prices and interest rates,
Quarterly profits or losses…
The bottom line is ashes.
Office policies ad politics,
Promotions and retirement plans,
Brooks Brothers suits and the bodies inside…
All end up in ashes.
It's not the economy, after all. It's the Ashes.
Save us, O God, from our ashes.
Source: The Review (Jan 2002)
Submitted by Sandie Howells
Subjects: Disasters, Ashes
~~~~~~~ THIS & THAT:
The same old standard phonetic alphabet (which you would use to describe spelling "Wilson" as "Whiskey, India, Lima, Sierra, Oscar, November") has been used by aircraft pilots, police, and others for many years now. Perhaps a little creativity could "improve" this. How about the following:
Would it now be much easier to phonetically spell "Wilson" as "Why, I, Lye, Sea, Owe, Nine?"
Source: Good, Clean Fun, http://www.slonet.org/~tellswor
Subjects: Alphabet, Language, Phonetic
~~~~~~~ KEEP SMILING:
Never accept a drink from a urologist. - Erma Bombeck
Never say "Oops" in the operating room. - Dr. Leo Troy
Never wear a backward baseball cap to an interview unless applying for the job of umpire. - Dan Zevin
Source: Have a Nice Day
USA INTERSTATE HIGHWAY SYSTEM FAST FACTS
Part 2 of 2 [Feb 18, 19]
- The interstate highway system is roughly 43,000 miles long - about 1 percent of the nation's highways - and carries 21 percent of the nation's traffic.
- Route 80 is the second-longest interstate at 2,907 miles, surpassed only by Route 90, which runs 3,081 miles between Boston and Seattle. In one 250-mile stretch, from just west of Cleveland to Gary, Ind., Routes 80 and 90 are the same roads - the Ohio Turnpike and the Indiana Toll Road.
- The shortest interstate is Route 878, which connects the Van Wyck Expressway with Rockaway Boulevard in New York City, not far from Kennedy Airport. It is seven-tenths of a mile.
- There are no interstates in Alaska. But there are two in Hawaii, a concept that would seem to defy the meaning of the prefix inter-.
- The interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.
Source: ArcaMax Trivia, http://www.arcamax.com
Subjects: Highways, Dwight Eisenhower