|Prior Date||Archive Index||Next Date|
WITandWISDOM(tm) - June 13, 2006
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear. - Ambrose Redmoon
Source: Inspire, http://www.inspirelist.com/
~~~~~~~ SPECIAL THOUGHTS:
From Saul Bellow's collection of traditional Jewish tales comes this story:
In a small Jewish town in Russia, there is a rabbi who disappears each Friday morning for several hours. His devoted disciples boast that during those hours their rabbi goes up to heaven and talks to God.
A stranger moves into town, and he's skeptical about all this, so he decides to check things out. He hides and watches. The rabbi gets up in the morning, says his prayers, and then dresses in peasant clothes. He grabs an axe, goes off into the woods, and cuts some firewood, which he then hauls to a shack on the outskirts of the village. There an old woman and her sick son live. He leaves them the wood, enough for a week, and then sneaks back home.
Having observed the rabbi's actions, the newcomer stays on in the village and becomes his disciple. And whenever he hears one of the villagers say, "On Friday morning our rabbi ascends all the way to heaven," the newcomer quietly adds, "If not higher."
Citation: Jim McGuiggan, Jesus, Hero of Thy Soul (Howard Publishing, 1998), p.15.
Source: Leadership Weekly, http://tinyurl.com/fqm43
~~~~~~~ THIS & THAT:
Top Ten Signs You've Been Living With Your Parents Too Long
10. They withhold Social Security from your allowance
9. You notice that "old person smell" but it's coming from your room
8. You have to explain to your children that you can't take them to the zoo today because you're grounded
7. The annual "growth chart" marks on the hallway door indicate you are getting shorter
6. The blue of your Smurf sheets match your varicose veins
5. You were grounded for drinking the last can of Ensure
4. You excitedly beg your mom to buy that new cereal, the one with the high fiber
3. Stopped stealing their liquor; started stealing their Lipitor
2. Last night you were grounded because you stayed out too late with your wife
1. You can't go to Vegas until you eat all your vegetables
Submitted by J. T.
~~~~~~~ KEEP SMILING:
Billy was in a store with his mother when he was given a stick of candy by one of the clerks.
"What do you say Billy?" said his mother.
"Charge it," he replied.
Submitted by Betsy
A lawyer was questioning the testimony of a witness to a shooting. "Did you see the shot fired?"
"No sir, I only heard it."
"Stand down, said the judge sharply. "Your testimony is of no value."
The witness turned around in the box to leave, and when his back was turned to the judge he laughed loudly and derisively. Irate at this exhibition of contempt, the judge called the witness back to the chair and demanded to know how he dared to laugh at the court.
"Did you see me laugh, Judge?" asked the witness.
"No, but I heard you," retorted the judge.
"That evidence is not satisfactory, Your Honor," said the witness respectfully.
Submitted by Andrew