|Prior Date||Archive Index||Next Date|
WITandWISDOM(tm) - August 1, 2006
No matter what accomplishments you achieve, somebody helps you. - Althea Gibson
Source: Molly's Quotes of the Day,
~~~~~~~ SPECIAL THOUGHTS:
A man leaned out of his window to moan about noise - and caught his neighbour as she fell from the window above.
Orlando Fonseca, 29, was furious to hear crashing, screaming and shouting from Kim Koeon upstairs.
What he didn't know was that Kim, 30, had fallen through her broken third-floor window and was clinging to the sill by her fingertips.
As Orlando leaned out to shout, she fell for what would have been a 40ft drop on to concrete, reports the Sun.
Orlando, from Wandsworth, said: "I saw this girl hanging by her fingertips. Suddenly she just let go and amazingly I was able to grab her as she went past. It all happened so quickly.
"It took no time to get her inside, but it hurt my arms a lot. She must have been in shock. She kept crying and saying she was so sorry, but then laughing."
Kim, who is from Korea, went to hospital with cuts and bruises. She said: "This man saved my life I want to see him and thank him."
Source: Ananova http://www.ananova.com
~~~~~~~ THIS & THAT:
Part 1 of 3 [Aug 1, 11, 21]
Can you read these right the first time?
1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
Submitted by Sharon Hamel
~~~~~~~ KEEP SMILING:
While watching a movie recently, I couldn't hear the dialogue over the chatter of the two women sitting in front of me.
Unable to bear it any longer, I tapped one of them on the shoulder. "Excuse me," I said, "I can't hear."
"I should hope not," she replied sharply. "This is a private conversation."
Source: Laughter for a Saturday
WASHINGTON (UPI) -- A Florida beagle was to be honored Monday for saving the life of her diabetic master by biting down on his cell phone to get help.
Kevin Weaver went into a diabetic coma and woke up in a hospital with no memory of passing out on his kitchen floor.
Belle is the first animal to receive the VITA Wireless Samaritan Award, presented in Washington by the CTIA Wireless Foundation to those who use cell phones to save lives, the Washington Post reported.
Kevin Weaver, a former flight attendant who lives in Ocoee, Fla., bought Belle two years ago after seeing her in the window of a pet store.
"I felt sorry for her," Weaver said. "I went in and said, 'She's mine.'"
It was after he bought Belle that someone who knew about his problems with diabetes suggested getting her trained as a medical assistance dog. She was taught to sense when his blood sugar was high or low by using her sensitive nose to sniff his breath.
Belle was also taught to call for help by biting down on the 9 on a cell-phone keypad.
"She loves me and I love her," Weaver told the Post. "She's my best friend, that's for sure."
Copyright 2006 by United Press International
Source: ArcaMax - Trivia, http://tinyurl.com/9kf44