|Prior Date||Back to Archive Index||Next Date|
WIT & WISDOM - October 16, 1998
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead 
~~~~~~~ SPECIAL THOUGHTS:
I needed to make a phone call to my insurance company. It's a good thing I started early! First came the busy signals - for an entire day! Next came a recorded message followed by music, occasionally interrupted by a voice that said, "Our lines are still busy. Please hold, or hang up and try again.
Finally I got through! But this led to a complicated set of instructions: For policy information, press l. For new coverage, press 2. To make a claim, press 3. To talk to an agent, press 4. I chose the last option. A recording said he was out of the office and told me to press the pound (#) key. The same voice repeated the same options, I hung up.
About the same time, I had an urgent need to talk with the Lord. I didn't get a busy signal, nor was I put on hold. I knew that God was listening and that he cared deeply for me.
We don't always get immediate answers to our prayers, but because of the wonderful prayer promises in the Bible, we know that we are heard. In Psalm 34, David reviewed his prayers and the Lord's answers. Then he said, "The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry. (v.l5). Thank God that there is no such thing as a prayer runaround.
- from "Our Daily Bread", June 5, 1998 by RBC Ministries have a magazine named from Grand Rapids, MI 
~~~~~~~ THIS & THAT:
TOP TEN THINGS YOU'LL PROBABLY NOT HEAR FROM A CONSULTANT:
10. You're right; we're billing way too much for this.
9. Bet you I can go a week without saying "synergy" or "value-added".
8. How about paying us based on the success of the project?
7. This whole strategy is based on a Harvard business case I read.
6. Actually, the only difference is that we charge more than they do.
5. I don't know enough to speak intelligently about that.
4. Implementation? I only care about writing long reports.
3. I can't take the credit. It was Ed in your marketing department.
2. The problem is, you have too much work for too few people.
1. Everything looks okay to me. You really don't need me. 
~~~~~~~ KEEP SMILING:
My nephew, who has just started the first grade, was asked to memorize the Ten Commandments. Upon reciting the commandment, "Thou shalt not commit adultery," he was asked what this commandment meant. With absolute seriousness he replied, "That means that you shouldn't want to become an adult." 
Ever wonder why men's and women's clothing are buttoned on opposite sides? One researcher suggests the custom comes from the Victorian age when a noble woman was dressed by her usually right-handed maid and so, it was easier to button the garments from right to left. Conversely, a noble gentleman usually dressed himself and did not require this reverse arrangement of buttons. - Calgary Sun, September 10, 1998 
 ("Angels and Miracles . . . Good-News-Letter"
 (Charlotte Barlow, Port Alberni, B.C.)
 (Just 4 Laughs! Http://www.GeoCities.com/Hollywood/Set/6993)
 (David A. Rinke II via David Youngs' GOOD Stuff!!
 (Mavis Weatherhead)