|Prior Date||Archive Index||Next Date|
WITandWISDOM(tm) - August 30, 2005
Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. - Japanese Proverb
Source: Beliefnet Presents, http://www.beliefnet.com/user/newsletter_choose.asp
~~~~~~~ SPECIAL THOUGHTS:
The atmosphere was electric in Atlanta. Three NASCAR drivers (Mark Martin, Dale Jarrett and Jeff Gordon) had the chance to win the NASCAR Winston Cup championship in the last race of the season. The "hype" was extraordinary all weekend, as seldom in the history of racing have three people been in the position to win a championship with only one race left in the season. The championship is the highest achievement for any driver for the entire year. It certainly was a momentous occasion for these three men. It was a special weekend for thousands of NASCAR fans.
During the day on Saturday, as these drivers were hounded by the media for stories, the most remarkable story was forming quietly between those three drivers and me. A special meeting was being planned that would occur following the usual Saturday Bible study that met in Mark's motor coach in the infield area reserved for the drivers and owners.
Shortly after 7:30 p.m., everyone left the study except Mark, Dale, Jeff and me. What was about to happen probably had never happened in the history of racing. In fact, it probably had not happened in any major sport on the eve of a championship game. Seldom would any professional athlete commune with their opponents in any kind of setting. But here in the quietness of Mark Martin's motor coach, this unique experience was unfolding.
After we chatted a moment, Mark Martin, unquestionably one of the toughest race-car drivers ever; Dale Jarrett, who came from a racing pedigree; and Jeff Gordon, loved and hated for the absolute dominance he brought to racing, joined me in holding hands for a special time of prayer. Dale started the prayer, asking God for safety and to give Mark and Jeff a good day of racing that would be fun and exciting. Mark prayed, expressing thanks for allowing him to be in the position for the championship with these drivers, and for God's graciousness for giving him the privilege to race. Jeff began to communicate his gratitude to God and how much God meant to him, and asked that God would allow each of the drivers to be at their best and not have any difficulties during the race. They were united in their prayers - "We give this race to you, God."
By Max Helton (c) 2000 from Chicken Soup for the NASCAR Soul by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Matthew E. Adams, Jeff Aubery and Kirk Autio. In order to protect the rights of the copyright holder, no portion of this publication may be reproduced without prior written consent. All rights reserved.
Visit us and read other sample stories and meet the authors. http://www.chickensoup.com
Source: Beliefnet Chicken Soup, http://ydib.net/n_soup/subscribe.shtml
~~~~~~~ THIS & THAT:
(For the young among us.)
1. Why it is impossible to send a telegram to Washington today?
2. If you throw a red stone into the blue sea what it will become?
3. What is it that no man ever saw and which never was but always will be?
4. Why does a dog bite its tail?
5. What looks like half an apple?
6. What 3 letters change a girl into a woman?
7. What happened when the wheel was invented?
8. Why is it easy to weigh a fish?
9. Why does a bike rest on its leg?
10. Why is the letter E like Death?
11. What goes up but never comes down?
RIDDLES with answers:
1. Why it is impossible to send a telegram to Washington today? Ans : Because he is dead.
2. If you throw a red stone into the blue sea what it will become? Ans : Wet.
3. What is it that no man ever saw and which never was but always will be? Ans : TOMORROW
4. Why does a dog bite its tail? Ans : To make both ends meet.
5. What looks like half an apple? Ans : The other half.
6. What 3 letters change a girl into a woman? Ans : AGE.
7. What happened when the wheel was invented? Ans : It caused a revolution.
8. Why is it easy to weigh a fish? Ans : Because it has its own scales.
9. Why does a bike rest on its leg? Ans : Because it is too tyred.
10. Why is the letter E like Death? Ans : Because it is the end of 'LIFE'
11. What goes up but never comes down? Ans : Age.
Submitted by Juggy
~~~~~~~ KEEP SMILING:
The Mayo Clinic, getting on board with today's diet and health conscious society, just changed its name.
It's now the Balsamic Vinaigrette Clinic.
Submitted by Michele
A cricket once saved an important military expedition from destruction. The commanding officer, Cabeza de Vaca, and several hundred of his men were on a large boat on the way to South America. As they neared shore, they'd have been smashed against a ledge of rock through the carelessness of the watch, had it not been for a cricket that a soldier had brought on board.
The little insect, silent during the whole voyage, struck up the shrillest note as it scented land, thereby warning the crew of the danger ahead.
Source: Adventist Review, ISSN 0161-1119, (c) November 2004, http://www.adventistreview.org/
Submitted by Mary Thayne